This was the draft I submitted for discussion. I found describing my thoughts in bullet points and lists didn’t make it easy to convey what I really wanted to say so I drew a mind map too.
Overall aims and objectives
- explore new approaches to working with my existing interests (lines, spaces, layering, constructing…) – without getting too distracted
- focus on drawing first, not textile (though still interested in textile as ‘a drawing that is habitable’)
- review where my work lies on the body ➤ textile ➤ space ➤ architecture continuum
What is your plan and rationale for both your practice and research within this unit and how do you think that they support each other?
Practice – extending my existing practice
- working within everyday personal spaces at home and at college
- layering of marks, marks over time, constructing the drawing as one goes along (wayfaring)
- layering of paper, fabric, both
- drawing in space – capturing gesture,
Research – what’s the theoretical context for this and related contemporary art practice
- artists working with (?personal) space – creating it, experiencing it e.g. Do Ho Suh, Christo, Richard Long (if art from the land can xfer to art from urban space?), Rebecca Horn
- artists using multiple layers and planes to construct work
- how the body and space/ the body and architecture are related
What background research will you undertake to help you formulate this proposal?
- the origin of architecture and esp links with textile and clothing – Gottfried Semper and Harry Mallgrave’s writings about Temper
- how we experience space – Gaston Bachelard, Juhani Pallasmaa, Jane Rendell
What resources will you need to secure carry out your proposal? (
- contained spaces – eg MA Painting project space, the small room in the MA Drawing Portakabin
- ?help with managing large scale work
What skills do you already have in this area?
- strategy for working from reference material to fairly large scale drawing
- synthesis of research material (but in other subject areas) and report writing
What skills do you anticipate needing to acquire or develop?
- using online research resources effectively
- implementing experimental and/or collaborative projects